And so to property. Firstly, the rather grand sounding Dr Stuart’s House, in NICHOLSON’S STREET, “having three entrances from different ftreets”. As well as the impressive sounding main dwelling (with twelve fire-rooms, no less), features of the entire estate include a coach-houfe, a hen-houfe, and “nearly quarter of an acre fronting Richmond Place, extending almoft the whole length of Richmond Street”.
Secondly, we have SUBJECTS NEAR THE HEAD OF COWGATE, “at the Bottom of the Candlemaker-Row”, including a DWELLING HOUSE, STABLE and HAY LOFT, the SHOP (“immediately below Mr Curtis’s laboratory”), and the “THIRD FLAT of the same Tenement”. Those interested should contact John Tawse, writer, York Place.
Excerpts taken from: Caledonian Mercury, 4 Jan. 1800. British Library Newspapers, accessed via National Library of Scotland membership.